Which of the following have species that can establish symbiotic relationship with other organisms?
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Cnidaria, an invertebrate phylum, often engage in symbiotic relationships with unicellular dinoflagellate algae called Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- Some fungi have a symbiotic relationship with plants, living inside their roots. The plants provide nutrients to the fungus, and the fungus provides water and certain nutrients in return. Fungi can also form symbiotic relationships with algae as lichens. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- Protozoa, another type of organism, can also form symbiotic relationships with other organisms. Symbiosis in protozoa typically involves:
- Mutualism: both organisms benefit
- Commensalism: one organism benefits without harming the other
- Parasitism: one organism benefits while harming the other.
- Therefore, statement 3 is correct.