Which of the following can be said to be essentially the parts of ‘Inclusive Governance”?
- Permitting the Non-Banking Financial Companies to do banking
- Establishing effective District Planning Committees in all the districts
- Increasing the government spending on public health
- Strengthening the Mid-day Meal Scheme
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 and 4 only
(c) 2, 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- District Planning Committees: To ensure effective planning at the district and lower levels, it is crucial to establish District Planning Committees (DPCs) in all districts. These committees, as mandated by Article 243ZD of the Constitution of India, are responsible for planning within the district and below.
- The primary function of the DPCs is to consolidate the plans developed by the Panchayats and Municipalities operating within the district. They are tasked with creating a comprehensive draft development plan for the district, taking into account the inputs and proposals put forth by the lower-level planning bodies.
- Increasing the government spending on public health: The government has set a target to increase public health expenditure to 2.5% of the country’s GDP by 2025. This objective was emphasized by the Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan during discussions with the 15th Finance Commission. The government aims to gradually raise the allocation towards public health in order to achieve this target by 2025.
- The Mid-Day Meal Scheme, also known as the MDMP, is a program designed to provide nutrition support to children below the age of 14 who are enrolled in schools. It serves as a means to address classroom hunger and improve various aspects of education. The program aims to enhance enrollment rates, attendance, and retention among students in primary classes, while simultaneously improving their nutritional status. By providing nutritious meals, particularly to students from disadvantaged backgrounds, the scheme facilitates regular school attendance and enables students to focus better on classroom activities.