Which of the following best describes/describe the aim of ‘Green India Mission’ of the Government of India?
- Incorporating environmental benefits and costs into the Union and State Budgets thereby implementing the ‘green accounting’
- Launching the second green revolution to enhance agricultural output so as to ensure food security to one and all in the future
- Restoring and enhancing forest cover and responding to climate change by a combination of adaptation and mitigation measures
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Launched in 2014, the Green India Mission is one of the eight missions established under the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC).
- Its primary aim is to address climate change through a combination of adaptation and mitigation strategies.
- One of its key objectives is to safeguard, rehabilitate, and augment India’s dwindling forest cover. Hence, statement 3 is correct.
- Another primary objective of the mission is to increase annual CO2 sequestration by 50-60 million tonnes by 2020.
- Statements 1 and 2 are not related to the mission.