Which of the following are the reasons for the occurrence of multi-drug resistance in microbial pathogens in India?
- Genetic predisposition of some people
- Taking incorrect doses of antibiotics to cure diseases
- Using antibiotics in livestock farming
- Multiple chronic diseases in some people
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 3 and 4
(d) 2, 3 and 4
- When an organism is resistant to more than one drug, it is said to be multidrug-resistant.
- Reasons for the occurrence of multi-drug resistance in microbial pathogens in India are –
- Taking incorrect doses of antibiotics to cure diseases.
- The use of a high volume of antibiotics in livestock farming contributes to the development of antimicrobial-resistant bacteria.
- These bacteria can be transmitted from animals to humans via direct contact with animals, or through the food chain and the environment.
- Inadequate sanitary conditions.
- Inappropriate food handling, and
- Poor infection control.