What is the role of ultraviolet (UV) radiation in the water purification systems?
- It inactivates/kills the harmful microorganisms in water.
- It removes all the undesirable odours from the water
- It quickens the sedimentation of solid particles, removes turbidity and improves the clarity of water.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The most efficient approach to eliminate bacteria from water is through ultraviolet water purification.
- This method employs UV rays that have the ability to infiltrate harmful pathogens found in household water and target the genetic core (DNA) of disease-causing microorganisms, ultimately destroying them.