What is/are the purpose/purposes of ‘District Mineral Foundations’ in India?
- Promoting mineral exploration activities in mineral-rich districts
- Protecting the interests of the persons affected by mining operations
- Authorizing State Governments to issue licences for mineral exploration
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- District Mineral Foundation (DMF) is a non-profit body primarily established in those districts affected by the mining works. Hence statement 2 is correct.
- It works for the interest and benefit of persons and areas affected by mining-related operations.
- It is funded through the contributions from miners.
- It is mandatory to set up District Mineral Foundations (DMFs) in all districts in the country affected by mining-related operations.
- It was mandated through the Mines and Minerals (Development & Regulation) Amendment Act, (MMDRA) 2015.
- The Operation and regulation of DMF come under the respective State Government.
- It does not promote mineral exploration activities in mineral-rich districts. Hence Statement 1 is incorrect
- It does not authorize states to issue a licence for mineral exploration. Hence Statement 3 is incorrect.