What are the significances of a practical approach to sugarcane production known as ‘Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative’?
- Seed cost is very low in this compared to the conventional method of cultivation.
- Drip irrigation can be practiced very effectively in this.
- There is no application of chemical inorganic fertilizers at all in this.
- The scope for intercropping is more in this compared to the conventional method of cultivation.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 1, 2 and 4 only
(c) 2, 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- The Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative focuses on sustainable cultivation of sugarcane by modifying input usage and methods.
- This method aims to reduce input costs, increase yields, and promote efficient use of land, water, and fertilizers.
- The approach involves using fewer seeds, reducing water usage, and optimizing fertilizer application.
- The intercropping technique and drip irrigation can also be employed.
- The advantages of this method are dependent on the farmer’s efforts, making it a farmer-driven approach.
- There is an application of Inorganic and organic fertilizers such as NPK (fertilizers) at the rate of 112 kg, 25 kg, and 48 kg per acre, respectively.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.