What are the reasons for the people’s resistance to the introduction of Bt brinjal in India?
- Bt brinjal has been created by inserting a gene from a soil funguns into its genome.
- The seeds of Bt brinjal are terminator seeds and therefore, the farmers have to buy the seeds before every season from the seed companies.
- There is an apprehension that the consumption of Bt-brinjal may have adverse impact on health.
- There is some concern that the introduction of Bt-brinjal may have adverse effect on the biodiversity.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Bt Brinjal is created by inserting the Cry 1Ac gene from the soil bacterium bacillus thuringiensis into Brinjal. Hence statement 1 is incorrect.
- Seeds from Bt brinjal open-pollinated varieties will be free for farmers to save and replant as they wish. They have not terminated seeds. Hence statement 2 is incorrect.
Concerns about Bt Brinjal
- When Bt brinjal toxin is ingested by humans it is resistant to antibiotics which can turn medicines ineffective and may result in new toxins. Hence statement 3 is correct.
- Bt Brinjal could also be a major threat to the vast number of domestic and wild varieties of these crops like brinjal, mustard etc. Hence statement 4 is correct.