With reference to Web 3.0, consider the following statements:
- Web 3.0 technology enables people to control their own data.
- In Web 3.0 world, there can blockchain based social networks.
- Web 3.0 is operated by users collectively rather than a corporation.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Web 3.0 is a decentralized version of the World Wide Web that operates on blockchain technology.
- Unlike the previous versions, Web 1.0 and Web 2.0, it will offer ownership stakes in platforms and applications to users, shifting the control away from tech giants.
- It will be a democratic and permissionless internet, where censorship of posts and centralized databases of user information for election influence will not be possible.
- Personal data will be under the control of individuals, and a single personalized account will enable movement across social media, email, and shopping, with all activities creating a public record on the blockchain.
- Data will be interconnected in a decentralized way, unlike the current Web 2.0, where centralized repositories store most data.
- Key features of Web 3.0 include ubiquity, semantic web, artificial intelligence, and 3D graphics. NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, represent a recent example of Web 3.0.