With reference to “Software as a Service (SaaS)”, consider the following statements:
- SaaS buyers can customise the user interface and can change data fields.
- SaaS users can access their data through their mobile devices.
- Outlook, Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail are forms of SaaS.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Software as a Service (SaaS) is a software distribution model that operates on the internet, allowing cloud service providers to offer applications to users. This model is also known as “on-demand software” or “pay-as-you-go application.”
- SaaS enables users to connect to and use cloud-based apps over the internet, with examples including email, calendaring, and office tools such as Microsoft Office 365.
- With SaaS, users can purchase a complete software solution from a cloud service provider on a pay-as-you-go basis, renting the use of an app for their organization. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- Users connect to the app through the internet, typically using a web browser. This setup allows for access to app data from anywhere, as data is stored in the cloud. Hence, statement 2 is correct
- Users can access their information from any internet-connected device, and no data is lost if a user’s device fails.
- A common example of SaaS is web-based email services like Outlook, Hotmail, or Yahoo! Mail, where users log into their accounts over the internet via a web browser, and the email software and messages are stored on the service provider’s network. Hence, statement 3 is correct