Which one of the following is the context in which the term “qubit” is mentioned?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) Cloud Services
(b) Quantum Computing
(c) Visible Light Communication Technologies
(d) Wireless Communication Technologies
Quantum Bit (Qubit)
- A quantum bit (qubit) is the smallest unit of quantum information, which is the quantum analog of the regular computer bit, used in the field of quantum computing.
- They operate according to two key principles of quantum physics: superposition and entanglement.
- Superposition means that each qubit can represent both a ‘1’ and a ‘0’ at the same time.
- Entanglement means that qubits in a superposition state can be correlated with each other.
- Using these two principles, qubits can act as more sophisticated switches, enabling quantum computers to function in ways that allow them to solve difficult problems that are unmanageable using today’s computers.