Which of the following statements are correct regarding the general difference between plant and animal cells?
- Plant cells have cellulose cell walls whilst animal cells do not.
- Plant cells do not have plasma membranes unlike animal cells which do.
- Mature plant cell has one large vacuole whilst an animal cell has many small vacuoles.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The cell wall is the outer covering of a cell. It surrounds the plasma membrane of plant cells and provides tensile strength and protection against mechanical and osmotic stress.
- The cell wall is present in plant cells and absent in animal cells. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- The plasma membrane (also called the cell membrane) is the membrane found in all cells that separate the interior of the cell from the outside environment.
- The plasma membrane is present in both plant cells and animal cells. Hence statement 2 is not correct.
- A vacuole is a membrane-bound cell organelle.
- In animal cells, vacuoles are generally small and help sequester waste products.
- In-plant cells, vacuoles help maintain water balance.
- Hence statement 3 is correct.