What is the importance of using Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines in India?
- These vaccines are effective against pneumonia as well as meningitis and sepsis.
- Dependence on antibiotics that are not effective against drug-resistant bacteria can be reduced.
- These vaccines have no side effects and cause no allergic reactions.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) and the pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23) protect against pneumococcal infections. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- The dependence on antibiotics that are not effective against drug-resistant bacteria can be reduced. Hence statement 2 is correct.
- Most people who get a pneumococcal vaccine do not have any serious problems with it. These are usually mild and go away on their own within a few days, but serious reactions are possible. Hence statement 3 is not correct.