Consider the following statements:
- Under Ramsar Convention, it is mandatory on the part of the Government of India to protect and conserve all the wetlands in the territory of India.
- The Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010 were framed by the Government of India based on the recommendations of Ramsar Convention.
- The Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010 also encompass the drainage area or catchment regions of the wetlands as determined by the authority.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The Ramsar Convention, signed in 1971, is among the earliest international treaties aimed at protecting wetlands and their ecological value.
- Article 4 of the convention mandates contracting parties to create nature reserves on wetlands to conserve waterfowl, whether listed under the agreement or not.
- However, it is not mandatory for the Government of India to protect and conserve all wetlands in the country.
- The Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010, were established by the Ministry of Environment and Forests to promote better conservation and management of existing wetlands in India.
- However, it was not framed on the basis of recommendation of Ramsar Covention. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.