Consider the following statements in respect of probiotics:
- Probiotics are made of both bacteria and yeast.
- The organisms in probiotics are found in foods we ingest but they do not naturally occur in our gut.
- Probiotics help in the digestion of milk sugars.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 2 and 3
- Probiotics are live microorganisms, including beneficial bacteria and yeasts, which are consumed or applied to the body for their health benefits. Statement 1 is correct
- While the gut is the most common location for probiotics, they can also be found in other areas of the body such as the mouth, urinary tract, skin, and lungs. Statement 2 is incorrect
- Yogurt is a well-known food source of probiotics, and certain bacteria strains in yogurt contain an enzyme called ß-D-galactosidase that aids in the digestion of lactose in dairy products into glucose and galactose. Statement 3 is correct