Consider the following:
- Aarogya Setu
Which of the above are built on top of open-source digital platforms?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2, 3 and 4 only
(c) 1, 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
An open source platform refers to a platform that provides unrestricted access to its source code for all users and developers. This is one of the many ways in which open source products are widely available. Unlike closed-source software, which is exclusive to authorized individuals, open-source software strives to offer equal access to everyone.
- It is an Indian COVID–19 “contact tracing, syndromic mapping and self-assessment” digital service, primarily a mobile app, developed by the National Informatics Centre under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology. It is now an open-source digital platform.
- It is an initiative by the government to offer Indian citizens a free platform to store and access important documents.
- The platform uses several open source technologies to deliver a mass solution and contributes back to the ever-growing community.
- It is built on open source technology, made in India and made for India, which incorporates internet-scale technologies and enables several use cases and solutions for teaching and learning.
- It is built using MIT-licensed open source technology called Sunbird, which is a digital infrastructure for learning and is designed to support multiple languages and solutions and offers over 100 microservices as building blocks for the development of platforms and solutions.
- It is owned by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and was developed using open-source software.
- This type of software allows users to modify the source code and distribute it.
Hence, Option 4 is correct.