The world’s second tallest statue in sitting pose of Ramanuja was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India at Hyderabad recently. Which one of the following statements correctly represents the teachings of Ramanuja?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – Prelims 2022]
(a) The best means of salvation was devotion.
(b) Vedas are eternal, self-existent and wholly authoritative.
(c) Logical arguments were essential means for the highest bliss
(d) Salvation was to be obtained through meditation.
- Ramanuja, born in Tamil Nadu during the eleventh century, was deeply influenced by the Alvars, and he believed that intense devotion to Vishnu was the most effective path to salvation. Therefore, statement 1 is correct.
- According to Ramanuja, through the grace of Vishnu, devotees could attain the blissful state of union with the divine.
- He introduced the doctrine of Vishishtadvaita, which emphasized the idea of qualified oneness, stating that even when the soul is united with the Supreme God, it retains its individuality.
- Ramanuja’s teachings had a profound impact on the development of a new wave of bhakti in North India.
- Inaugurating the statue of equality of Ramanuja, Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a 216-ft statue mounted on a 54-feet high base building named Bhadra Vedi.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.