The “Red Data Books” published by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) contain lists of
- Endemic plant and animal species present in the biodiversity hotspots.
- Threatened plant and animal species.
- Protected sites for conservation of nature and natural resources in various countries.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below;
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 3 only
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) publishes the “Red Data Books,” which offer the most comprehensive inventory of the global conservation status of plant and animal species.
- The Red Data Book provides detailed information that is useful for studies, research, and monitoring programs related to rare and endangered species.
- By helping to protect species that are on the brink of extinction, it serves a crucial purpose. Statement 2 is correct. However, statement 1 and 3 are incorrect.