The Prime Minister recently inaugurated the new Circuit House near Somnath Temple at Veraval. Which of the following statements are correct regarding Somnath Temple?
- Somnath Temple is one of the Jyotirlinga shrines.
- A description of Somnath Temple was given by Al-Biruni.
- Pran Pratishtha of Somnath Temple (installation of the present day temple) was done by President S. Radhakrishnan.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – Prelims 2022]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The Somnath Temple is situated on the western coast of the Indian subcontinent in Gujarat State, near the Arabian Ocean.
- It holds the distinction of being the first among the twelve Aadi Jyotirlingas (prime lingas) of India, making statement 1 correct.
- In the travelogue of Arab traveler Al-Biruni, the Somnath Temple is mentioned. Mahmud Ghaznavi, influenced by this account, attacked the temple in 1024 with his army of five thousand soldiers, looting its treasures and completely demolishing the structure. Therefore, statement 2 is correct.
- After the destruction, the modern-day temple was reconstructed under the initiative of Sardar Patel. He visited the ruins of the Somnath Temple on November 13, 1947.
- However, statement 3 is incorrect. The Pran-Pratistha, which refers to the consecration ceremony, was performed by the then-President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, at the existing temple on May 11, 1951.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.