The identity platform ‘Aadhaar’ provides open “Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)”. What does it imply?
- It can be integrated into any electronic device.
- Online authentication using iris is possible.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Aadhaar Authentication involves submitting Aadhaar number and other attributes, including biometrics, online for verification by the Central Identities Data Repository.
- This process is only initiated upon receipt of an electronic request from a requesting entity that complies with UIDAI regulations.
- Demographic, one-time pin-based, biometric, and multi-factor authentication are the available modes.
- Nandan Nilekani’s 2016 Times of India blog explains that Aadhaar offers open Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that can be easily integrated into any electronic device, enabling online authentication through fingerprint or iris.
- Therefore, both statements are correct.