The Gandhi-Irwin Pact included which of the following?
- Invitation to Congress to participate in the Round Table Conference
- Withdrawal of Ordinances promulgated in connection with the Civil Disobedience Movement
- Acceptance of Gandhiji’s suggestion for enquiry into police excesses
- Release of only those prisoners who were not charged with violence
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1, 2 and 4 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 2, 3 and 4 only
- Statement 1 is correct: The Salt Satyagraha in 1930 brought Gandhi international attention, and many prominent leaders were jailed by the British. On March 5, 1931, the Gandhi-Irwin Pact was signed by Gandhi on behalf of the Congress and by Lord Irwin on behalf of the government. Although the Congress did not participate in the First Round Table Conference, the British sought its participation in the second.
- Statement 2 and 4 are correct: The British Government made certain agreements after the Conference, including the withdrawal of ordinances related to the Civil Disobedience Movement and the release of all political prisoners except those involved in violent activities.
- Statement 3 is not correct: Two of Gandhi’s demands were turned down by the viceroy: A public inquiry into police excesses; Commutation of Bhagat Singh and his comrades’ death sentence to life imprisonment.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.