Consider the following:
The arrival of Babur into India led to the
- introduction of gunpowder in the subcontinent
- introduction of the arch and dome in the region’s architecture
- establishment of Timurid dynasty in the region
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The Mongol invasions into India led to the introduction of gunpowder technology in the region. It is believed that the Mongols, who conquered parts of India in the mid-13th century, used Chinese gunpowder weapons during their invasions. However, Chinese gunpowder technology had arrived in India by the mid-14th century, much earlier than the Mughal invasion. Hence, Statement 1 is not correct.
- The Turks introduced the arch and dome in the region’s architecture after the invasion of Muhammad Ghori. Hence, Statement 2 is not correct.
- Statement 3 is correct as Babur, who founded the Mughal Empire in India, was a descendant of the Timurid dynasty.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.