The annual range of temperature in the interior of the continents is high as compared to coastal areas. What is/are the reason(s)?
- Thermal difference between land and water
- Variation in altitude between continents and oceans
- Presence of strong winds in the interior
- Heavy rains in the interior as compared to coasts
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2013 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Statements Correct or Incorrect:
- Land and ocean distribution is a major factor affecting the temperature distribution of Earth – Correct
- Continents do not get heated and cooled faster than oceans – Incorrect
- Heavy rainfall in the interior is responsible for the high annual temperature range of the continents – Incorrect
- Continental interiors receive heavy rainfall compared to coasts – Incorrect
- Additional Information:
- Land heats and cools faster than oceans due to the difference in specific heat.
- Maritime influence refers to the moderating effect of nearby seas on land temperature, while continental influence causes temperature extremes in inland areas.
- Altitude variation between continents and oceans is not a valid explanation for temperature distribution.
- The interiors of Central Asia receive little rainfall, resulting in low annual precipitation and weak winds.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.