‘SWAYAM’, an initiative of the Government of India, aims at
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) promoting the Self Help Groups in rural areas
(b) providing financial and technical assistance to young start-up entrepreneurs
(c) promoting the education and health of adolescent girls
(d) providing affordable and quality education to the citizens for free
- SWAYAM is a Hindi acronym that stands for “Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds”.
- SWAYAM is an online platform of the Ministry of HRD through which online programmes/courses are offered to students in India.
- It was launched on 9th July 2017.
- It has Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and provide high quality education on various subjects which includes classes from 9 to 12th and also Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses.
- The scheme aims to provide free high quality e-content to all colleges and universities free of cost.