‘RNA interference (RNAi)’ technology has gained popularity in the last few years. Why?
- It is used in developing gene silencing therapies.
- It can be used in developing therapies for the treatment of cancer.
- It can be used to develop hormone replacement therapies.
- It can be used to produce crop plants that are resistant to viral pathogens.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 4
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 1 and 4 only
- RNA interference (RNAi) is a technique that gained popularity due to its application in gene silencing therapies aimed at diseases like cancer.
- RNAi involves using double-stranded RNA to block protein synthesis in specific cells.
- In addition to its medical uses, RNAi technology is also utilized to develop crop plants that are immune to various plant viruses, including RNA and DNA viruses, as well as viroids, fungal pathogens, and insects.