Recombinant DNA technology (Genetic Engineering) allows genes to be transferred
- Across different species of plants
- From animals to plants
- From microorganisms to higher organisms
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2013 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Genetic Engineering is the process of modifying genetic material and introducing it to a host organism to change its phenotype.
- It involves three main processes: recombining DNA, gene cloning, and gene transfer.
- Recombinant DNA technology is a technique used to combine DNA from different sources to form a new DNA sequence.
- The resulting DNA is then inserted into a host organism, creating a new genetic composition that is superior to the original DNA.
- This process involves using tools such as restriction enzymes (molecular scissors), cloning vectors, and competent hosts.
- Steps of Recombinant DNA technology include isolating genetic material, cutting DNA at specific locations, amplifying the gene of interest using PCR, introducing the recombinant DNA into the host cell/organism, obtaining the foreign gene product, and downstream processing.
- Recombinant DNA technology has applications in various fields, including science, agriculture, medicine, and industry.