Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana’ has been launched for
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) providing housing loan to poor people at cheaper interest rates
(b) promoting women’s Self-Help Groups in backward areas
(c) promoting financial inclusion in the country
(d) providing financial help to the marginalized communities
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) is a nationwide initiative aimed at achieving comprehensive financial inclusion and providing banking services to all households in India.
- It is considered one of the largest financial inclusion programs globally.
- The announcement of PMJDY was made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 15, 2014, from the Red Fort, and the program was officially launched on August 28th of the same year.
- The achievements made under PMJDY have been recognized by Guinness World Records, certifying that the highest number of bank accounts opened in one week as part of a Financial Inclusion Campaign is 18,096,130, achieved by the Department of Financial Services, Government of India.
- Currently, PMJDY has achieved almost 100% coverage, with 60% of the accounts opened in rural areas and 40% in urban areas. The proportion of female account holders stands at around 51%.