Other than resistance to pests, what are the prospects for which genetically engineered plants have been created?
- To enable them to withstand drought
- To increase the nutritive value of the produce
- To enable them to grow and do photosynthesis in spaceships and space stations
- To increase their shelf life
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 and 4 only
(c) 1, 2 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Genetically modified crops (GM crops) are plants used in agriculture, the DNA of which has been modified using genetic engineering techniques.
Advantages of Genetically engineered plants-
- They are insect resistant and increases the nutritive value of the produce.
- They are virus and herbicide-tolerant.
- They also have a high tolerance to cold/heat, drought, and salinity hence also drought resistant.
- Delayed senescence/fruit ripening/spoilage leading to the extended shelf life of perishable produce.
- Enhanced tolerance to diseases and stress, such as drought, heat, cold, salt, low nutrients.
- Increased biomass and seed yields.
Hence all 1, 2 and 4 are correct.