Mycorrhizal biotechnology has been used in rehabilitating degraded sites because mycorrhiza enables the plants to
- resist drought and increase absorptive area
- tolerate extremes of pH
- resist disease infestation
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2013 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Mycorrhiza and its Types
- A mycorrhiza is a symbiotic alliance between fungi and plants.
- This association results in the growth and development of plants and its root.
- Mycorrhiza fungi act as a bio-fertilizer and help in maintaining soil biology and chemistry.
- There are two types of mycorrhiza: endo mycorrhizae and ecto mycorrhizae.
Benefits of Fungi
- Fungi have the ability to tolerate extremes of pH, soil, high temperature, and heavy metal toxicity.
- They provide more nutrients to the plants resulting in healthy plants.
- The plant helps in resisting drought and salinity.
- Fungi have the ability to reduce disease occurrence and dissolve and absorb phosphorous.
- Fungi help in controlling soil erosion.
- Results in higher organic matter and soil quality.