Microbial fuel cells are considered a source of sustainable energy. Why?
- They use living organisms as catalysts to generate electricity from certain substrates.
- They use a variety of inorganic materials as substrates.
- They can be installed in waste water treatment plants to cleanse water and produce electricity.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- A microbial fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy to electrical energy by the action of microorganisms. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- They are devices that use bacteria as catalysts to oxidize organic and inorganic matter and generate current. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.
- They can be installed in wastewater treatment plants to cleanse water and produce electricity. Hence, statement 3 is correct.