In which of the following areas can GPS technology be used?
- Mobile phone operations
- Banking operations
- Controlling the power grids
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
GPS (Global Positioning System) has a wide range of applications, including:
- Navigation: GPS is commonly used for navigation in cars, airplanes, and boats, as it allows users to determine their location and plan a route to their destination.
- Surveying and mapping: GPS technology can be used to survey land, map geographic features, and create accurate 3D models of terrain.
- Agriculture: GPS can help farmers optimize crop yields by tracking soil conditions, crop growth, and water usage.
- Emergency response: GPS can be used to track and locate people in emergency situations, such as natural disasters or search and rescue missions.
- Fitness tracking: GPS-enabled fitness trackers can measure distance, pace, and location during workouts.
- Geocaching: GPS is used in geocaching, a popular treasure-hunting game that involves using GPS coordinates to find hidden containers.
- Time synchronization: GPS is used to synchronize clocks in telecommunications networks, computer networks, and other systems that require accurate timekeeping.
- Military and defense: GPS was originally developed by the US Department of Defense for military use and is still widely used for navigation and tracking in military operations.