In which of the following activities are Indian Remote Sensing (IRS) satellites used?
- Assessment of crop productivity
- Locating groundwater resources
- Mineral exploration
- Traffic studies
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only
(b) 4 and 5 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
India’s remote sensing program was developed with the idea of applying space technologies for the benefit of humankind and the development of the country.
- ISRO Disaster Management Support Programme (ISRO-DMSP)
- Biodiversity characterizations at landscape level – http://bis.iirs.gov.in
- Preharvest crop area and production estimation of major crops.
- Drought monitoring and assessment based on vegetation condition.
- Flood risk zone mapping and flood damage assessment.
- Hydro-geomorphological maps for locating underground water resources for drilling well.
- Irrigation command area status monitoring
- Snow-melt run-off estimates for planning water use in down stream projects
- Land use and land cover mapping
- Urban planning
- Forest survey
- Wetland mapping
- Environmental impact analysis
- Mineral prospecting