In the Mekong-Ganga Cooperation, an initiative of six countries, which of the following is/are not a participant / participants?
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 1, 2 and 5
- The Mekong Ganga cooperation is a regional organization that was established in 2000 and includes India and five ASEAN countries, namely Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
- Its primary objectives are to strengthen ties and encourage closer contact between the regions surrounding these two major river basins.
- Additionally, the organization seeks to improve cooperation in various fields, including tourism, culture, transport, communication, and education.
- Recently, the 12th Mekong Ganga Cooperation Senior Officials’ Meeting was conducted via video conference on 3 September 2020.
- The Mekong Ganga Cooperation is a crucial component of India’s ‘Act East Policy’ and aims to reduce the development gap through digital connectivity and capacity building.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.