In the context of which one of the following arc the terms ‘pyrolysis and plasma gasification’ mentioned?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) Extraction of rare earth elements
(b) Natural gas extraction technologies
(c) Hydrogen fuel-based automobiles
(d) Waste-to-energy technologies
- Pyrolysis is a process that chemically decomposes organic materials at high temperatures in the absence of oxygen.
- The process typically occurs at temperatures above 430 °C and under pressure.
- Its primary purpose is to convert organic materials into a solid residue containing ash and carbon, as well as small quantities of liquid and gases.
- Plasma gasification is an extreme thermal process that uses plasma to convert organic matter into a syngas primarily made up of hydrogen and carbon monoxide.
- The process is used commercially as a waste-to-energy system that converts various waste types, including municipal solid waste, tires, hazardous waste, and sewage sludge, into synthesis gas.
- This syngas can be used to generate power.