In the context of which of the following do some scientists suggest the use of cirrus cloud thinning technique and the injection of sulphate aerosol into stratosphere?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) Creating the artificial rains in some regions
(b) Reducing the frequency and intensity of tropical cyclones
(c) Reducing the adverse effects of solar wind on the Earth
(d) Reducing the global warming
- Cirrus clouds are located approximately 10 km above the Earth’s surface.
- These clouds trap heat, and thinning them could help to cool down the Earth’s system.
- One potential method for thinning cirrus clouds involves injecting ice nuclei, such as dust, into areas where the clouds form. This process can increase the size of ice crystals and reduce the optical depth of the clouds.
- Thinning cirrus clouds could allow more heat to escape into space, resulting in a cooling effect on the planet.
- The process of injecting particles into the atmosphere to thin cirrus clouds is known as stratospheric aerosol injection.
- This technique could be used to limit rising temperatures and counteract the effects of climate change.