In the context of the history of India, consider the following pairs:
- Eripatti: Land, revenue from which was set apart for the maintenance of the village tank
- Taniyurs: Villages donated to a single Brahmin or a group of Brahmins
- Ghatikas: Colleges generally attached to the temples
Which of the pairs given above correctly matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 3 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1 and 3
- Statement 1: Eripatti refers to the land donated by individuals, specifically allocated for the upkeep of the village tank. This means that statement 1 is correct.
- Statement 2: Taniyurs were not extensive revenue units under the Chola dynasty; they were actually large villages. Therefore, statement 2 is incorrect.
- Statement 3: Ghatikas were educational institutions associated with temples, providing knowledge in various fields, including religion. Hence, statement 3 is correct.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.