In the context of solving pollution problems, what is/are the advantage/advantages of bioremediation technique?
- It is a technique for cleaning up pollution by enhancing the same biodegradation process that occurs in nature.
- Any contaminant with heavy metals such as cadmium and lead can be readily and completely treated by bioremediation using microorganisms.
- Genetic engineering can be used to create microorganisms specifically designed for bioremediation.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Bioremediation is a process that employs naturally occurring organisms to convert harmful substances into less toxic or harmless compounds.
- This technique employs microorganisms to break down organic pollutants present in soil, groundwater, sludge, and solids. By enhancing the natural biodegradation process, bioremediation facilitates pollution clean-up. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- However, not all contaminants can be treated through bioremediation with microorganisms.
- Heavy metals like cadmium and lead, for instance, are not readily absorbed or trapped by microorganisms. Contrary to statement 2, bioremediation is not limited to biodegradable compounds.