In the context of Indian history, the Rakhmabai case of 1884 revolved around
- women’s right to gain education
- age of consent
- restitution of conjugal rights
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Rukhmabai, who lived from 1864 to 1955, was the first practicing female doctor in colonial India. She was involved in a legal case that resulted in the Age of Consent Act of 1891.
- Rukhmabai had been married as a child to a man named Bhikaji, but she refused to live with him as she did not fully understand the situation.
- In March 1884, Bhikaji’s lawyers sent a legal notice to Rukhmabai’s stepfather, demanding that she be sent to Bhikaji’s house. In 1885, after 12 years of marriage, Bhikaji sought the “restitution of conjugal rights.” Hence, option 2 and 3 are correct.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.