In the context of ecosystem productivity, marine upwelling zones are important as they increase the marine productivity by bringing the
- decomposer microorganisms to the surface.
- nutrients to the surface.
- bottom-dwelling organisms to the surface.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 3 only
- Regions of upwelling are the most productive areas of the world’s oceans.
- Upwelling in coastal waters brings nutrient-rich water toward the surface. Statement 2 is correct.
- These conditions promote the rapid reproduction of phytoplankton, and grazing zooplankton also multiplies, which provides an abundant food supply for nekton.
- Due to this high productivity, some of the world’s richest fisheries are found in regions of upwelling, such as the temperate waters off Peru and California.