In case of which one of the following biogeochemical cycles, the weathering of rocks is the main source of release of nutrient to enter the cycle?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) Carbon cycle
(b) Nitrogen cycle
(c) Phosphorus cycle
(d) Sulphur cycle
- Recently, the Government has prepared an Action Plan to make India Aatmanirbhar
- Carbon and Nitrogen cycle are the gaseous cycles. Here, the main reservoir of nutrient is the atmosphere or the hydrosphere.
- In sulphur cycle, nutrient is released by weathering of rocks, erosional runoff and decomposition of organic matter.
- The sulphur cycle is mostly sedimentary but two of its compounds hydrogen sulphide (H2S) and sulphur dioxide (SO2) add a gaseous component to its normal sedimentary cycle.
- In Phosphorus cycle, nutrients got released mainly by weathering of rocks since the Phosphorus mainly occurs as a mineral in phosphate rocks. It enters the cycle from erosion and mining activities.