If National Water Mission is properly and completely implemented, how will it impact the country?
- Part of the water needs of urban areas will be met through recycling of waste-water.
- The water requirements of coastal cities with inadequate alternative sources of water will be met by adopting appropriate technologies that allow for the use of ocean water.
- All the rivers of Himalayan origin will be linked to the rivers of peninsular India.
- The expenses incurred by farmers for digging bore-wells and for installing motors and pump-sets to draw ground-water will be completely reimbursed by the Government.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
The main objective of the National Water Mission (NWM) is “conservation of water, minimizing wastage and ensuring its more equitable distribution both across and within States through integrated water resources development and management”.
The 5 identified goals of the Mission are
- Comprehensive water database in public domain and assessment of the impact of climate change on a water resource.
- Promotion of citizen and state action for water conservation, augmentation, and preservation.
- Focused attention to vulnerable areas including over-exploited areas.
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20%.
- Promotion of basin-level integrated water resources management.