Human activities in the recent past have caused the increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, but a lot of it does not remain in the lower atmosphere because of
- its escape into the outer stratosphere.
- the photosynthesis by phytoplankton in the oceans
- the trapping of air in the polar ice caps.
Which of the statements given above is/ are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 3 only
- The photosynthesis by phytoplankton in the oceans is natural carbon Sequestration.
- The trapping of carbon dioxide by polar ice caps is not known. Also, carbon dioxide does not escape into the stratosphere. Hence, statements 1 and 3 are incorrect.