For the measurement/estimation of which of the following are satellite images/remote sensing data used?
- Chlorophyll content in the vegetation of a specific location
- Greenhouse gas emissions from rice paddies of a specific location
- Land surface temperatures of a specific location
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 Only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Satellite data has made it possible to measure various environmental factors with a high degree of accuracy.
- For instance, land surface temperature can be measured globally and at high temporal resolution using remote sensing techniques.
- Similarly, chlorophyll content in vegetation can be measured by analyzing the reflection of light in specific wavelengths.
- Additionally, remote sensing can provide information on greenhouse gas emissions by estimating the concentration of CO2 and CH4 based on reflected sunlight measurements.
- This can be particularly useful in estimating emissions from specific locations such as rice paddies. Therefore, all three statements are correct.