Consider the following towns of India:
Which of the above are famous for the production of traditional sarees/fabric?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 2 and 3
(d) 1, 3 and 4
- Chanderi is a town located in the Ashoknagar district of Madhya Pradesh, India.
- The primary occupation of the people in Chanderi is handicraft, and their famous Chanderi sarees have gained recognition worldwide.
- Additionally, the town is renowned for its ancient Jain temples.
- In contrast, Kancheepuram, a town in Tamil Nadu, is celebrated for its silk sarees, making option 2 correct.
- Moreover, Kancheepuram is home to 108 holy temples dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu, with 15 located within the town’s boundaries.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.