Consider the following statements:
- The value of Indo-Sri Lanka trade has consistently increased in the last decade.
- “Textile and textile articles” constitute an important item of trade between India and Bangladesh.
- In the last five years, Nepal has been the largest trading partner of India in South Asia.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 3 is incorrect. The correct order of India’s largest trading partners in South Asia is Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bhutan, Afghanistan, and the Maldives.
- Statement 2 is correct. Cotton is the largest export item from India to Bangladesh, constituting approximately one-fifth of India’s supplies to Bangladesh. This is followed by mineral fuels, automobiles, and capital goods.
- India’s imports from Bangladesh increased by 22% to $1.2 billion. Garment and textile products account for around 40% of these imports.