Consider the following statements:
- The Standard Mark of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is mandatory for automotive tyres and tubes.
- AGMARK is a quality Certification Mark issued by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
The Standard Mark of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is compulsory for:
- Certain types of electronics and IT goods
- Household electrical products
- Food products
- Steel materials.
- All types of automotive tyres and tubes. So statement 1 is correct.
AGMARK vs FSSAI:
- AGMARK is a quality Certification Mark issued by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection, an agency of the Government of India. So statement 2 is incorrect.
- AGMARK is a certification mark employed on agricultural products.
- FSSAI is a body under the Food safety and standard act of 2006 for inspecting the quality of food products.
- FSSAI’s work is the inspection of Agency whereas AGMARK’s role is the certification.