Consider the following statements:
- The International Solar Alliance was launched at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in 2015.
- The Alliance includes all the member countries of the United Nations.
Which of the statements given above is /are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) was launched at the UN Climate Change Conference in Paris on 30 November 2015 with the aim to boost solar energy in developing countries. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- At the time of its formation, International Solar Alliance includes a group of nations that lie within the Tropics (Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn) and receive sunshine for more than 300 days.
- The alliance includes around 121 countries that support the “Declaration on the occasion to launch the international solar alliance of countries dedicated to the promotion of solar energy”. Not all the member countries of the United Nations. Hence statement 2 is incorrect.