Consider the following statements:
- The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 replaced the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is under the charge of Director General of Health Services in the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- The Food Safety and Standards(FSS) Act, 2006 consolidates various acts & orders that had earlier handled food-related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
- The acts that were repealed after commencement of FSS Act, 2006 are as follows:
- Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954 Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- Fruit Products Order, 1955
- Meat Food Products Order, 1973
- Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order, 1947
- Edible Oils Packaging (Regulation) Order 1988
- Milk and Milk Products Order, 1992
- Before the formation of FSSAI, from 1954 onwards Prevention of Food Adulteration was part of the Directorate General of Health Services.
- After having detached from the direct administrative control of the Health Ministry, this authority is holding independent authority and has attained a special status. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.