Consider the following statements:
The Environment Protection Act, 1986 empowers the Government of India to
- state the requirement of public participation in the process of environmental protection, and the procedure and manner in which it is sought
- lay down the standards for emission or discharge of environmental pollutants from various sources
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- The Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 grants the central government the authority to safeguard the environment, reduce pollution from all sources, and restrict or prohibit the establishment and operation of industries on environmental grounds.
- The objective of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 is to ensure the protection and improvement of the environment.
- The Act empowers the Central Government to establish authorities that are responsible for preventing environmental pollution in all its forms and addressing specific environmental issues peculiar to different parts of the country.
- The Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 does not contain any provisions related to public participation.
- Section 6 of the Act empowers the Central Government to regulate pollution control norms.