Consider the following statements:
- The duration of the monsoon decreases from southern India to northern India.
- The amount of annual rainfall in the northern plains of India decreases from east to west.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- In India, the duration of the monsoon varies between the northern and southern parts due to their proximity to the sea.
- As the rain-bearing winds pass over the western ghats, humidity and rainfall decrease in the northern part of India.
- The southern part of India receives rainfall from both the southwest and northeast monsoons.
- Rainfall during the monsoon season decreases as the distance from the sea increases, with varying amounts in different regions.
- The average annual rainfall in India is 125 cm but varies greatly across different areas.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.